- DCSD APP
- Beacon PTO
- Mental Health Resources
- Reproductive Health
- Yearbooks & School Photos
- read By Grade Three
The Dexter Community School District (DCSD Blackboard App is a great way to stay informed about goings-on at school:
- Receive notifications regarding weather-related school closures, scheduled days off, and other urgent news;
- Access the following functions: deposit lunch money, pay athletics fees, pay PaySchools charges;
- Log In to your grade 5 & up student's PowerSchool account;
- Search the Dexter Schools phone and email directory quickly;
- Quickly view lunch menus.
In addition to district news, you can subscribe to updates from individual buildings. Go to Notifications, then click the gear icon in the right top corner of the screen to select the news you want to be notified about. All your news updates are in one place.
How do I change my address/phone number/email?
- To change your address, complete the one change of address form for your entire family and return it, with proof of residence at the new address, to your building secretary or to the main offices at firstname.lastname@example.org, confidential fax: 734-424-4112, or mail to ATTN: Superintendent's Office – Bates School 2704 Baker Road Dexter MI 48130.
- To change your phone number and/or email, contact your school offices during the school year or district offices at 734-424-4102 or email@example.com. If you have more than one student, you will need to contact each office, or you can contact the main office and that will be distributed to all relevant buildings.
What is my student's PowerSchool ID? Why can't I log in to see his/her grades?
- Your student's PowerSchool ID is on the top of their report card, or you can contact the school office to get it over the phone.
- PowerSchool Parent and Student Access starts when students are in 5th grade. You will be sent a letter with the student ID and your login information at the beginning of their fifth grade year.
How do I sign up for emails from my student's teacher/the principal/the district?
- Dexter Community Schools uses Blackboard for messaging. This system draws information from our student record software. At the beginning of the school year, all families are required to review their student information, including phone numbers and emails, in the Back-to-School Gateway. If you have a change mid-year, contact your school office as noted above. The mailing lists for classes, buildings, and the District are automated. Staff create groups each year or semester for specials and extracurricular groups, so contact the specials teacher or program coordinator if you aren't receiving those a few weeks after school starts (it takes a while to set them up).
What do I do if I am not receiving messages?
- First, check your email spam folder, and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.
- Next, contact the school office to check your contact info. They will also be able to see if messages are being delivered in the Blackboard system or if there is an issue. During the summer, contact central offices: email@example.com or 734-424-4102.
In an effort to boost reading achievement, Michigan lawmakers passed Public Act 306 in October 2016. On the 2015 NAEP Michigan was 41st in the nation for 4th grade reading achievement. To help more students be proficient by the end of 3rd grade, the law requires extra support for K-3 students who are not at grade level in reading. The law also states that a child may be retained in 3rd grade if he/she is one or more grade levels behind in reading at the end of 3rd grade.
- Beacon Home-Based (Full Virtual)
- Beacon HomeRoom (Virtual Start, In-Person When Able)
- SPECIALS CLASSES
- General Information
BEACON HOME-BASED (FULL VIRTUAL) CLASSES USE THE LINCOLN LEARNING PLATFORM (also known as "BUZZ").
Home-based students use Chromebooks.
Lincoln Learning (BUZZ) ONBOARDING
There is a full menu of short videos to help families and students learn more that focus on platform navigation, course content and features of Buzz at this link: Lincoln Learning/Buzz Tutorial. Selected videos are highlighted on the buttons below.
Getting to know your chromebook
Beacon HomeRoom Model Classes Use THE SeeSaw PLATFORM.
Homeroom students use iPads.
Young 5 half day
- HomeRoom students will have access to daily specials lessons and work on Seesaw.
- Home-Based students will have opportunities for asynchronous learning with DCS staff in addition to their Lincoln Learning Specials.
- Go to app.seesaw.me or your Seesaw App
- Choose "I’m a Student"
- Sign in using your school Google account [Student_Email] and password [Student_ID]
- Click on your profile icon on the top left
- Click on the +Join Class button
- Type in the codes (from your teacher) for Art, Media, Music, Physical Education, World Cultures.
- Technology Receipt and Responsibility Form and Virtual Meeting Opt-Out. This form must be signed (no electronic signatures) and returned to DCS in order to pick up your devices. We will have extra blank copies at pick-up if you are unable to print or forget to do it ahead of time.
- Connecting Your Device to Wifi
- Video Conferencing Guidelines for Students
- Chromebook Insurance Form
- Student emails follow this format: firstname.lastname@example.org. Use their proper name, not nickname.
- The network login for Chromebooks is your student's email. The network login for MacBook Airs follows this format: twodigitgradyearlastnamefirstintial. So, for Bob Smith, class of 2024, the network login would be: 24smithb.
- The default student PowerSchool ID is usually their student ID number. If that does not work, please contact your school secretary for assistance. Or, if you re-set your own password in the past but can't recall it use the password reset link under the PowerSchool sign-in boxes.
CAN I PRINT FROM MY DCS DEVICE?
You can't print wirelessly from a DCS device. You can print from a Chromebook if you use a cable to connect to your printer. You can print from an ipad if you have an air-print enabled printer. Students can save documents in their google drive and log into their google device on a home computer and print the document that way.
WHAT IS SECURLY?
Securly is a safety filter we use to keep kids safe while surfing the internet. Sometimes it will block internet sites if you aren't logged in. If, for example, you can't view a youtube video on your student's device, you should have them log into their google account, refresh the page, and try again.
CAN WE LOAD OUR OWN APPS ON DCS DEVICES?
No. If you need something added, please contact the tech team and they can assist you.
we are using our personal devices. can we load dcs apps on them?
It depends on the app. Please contact the tech team for assistance.
HAVE A QUESTION YOU DON'T SEE AN ANSWER TO?
Send us your request. (Don't use that email for tech help, only for suggested questions to answer here. We let the experts answer!)